Edit: I was notified that the images were missing last week. This was down to my web hosting changing and I had not backed up the images. I’ve had to take screenshots of the images again so they may not be 100% accurate but at least will give some indication of what was done before.
I’ve started doing a little bit of windows phone development which required me to download the SDK 8.0 from the Microsoft Phone Developer website. This gives you everything you need to get started which is awesome!
So I created a little test app to try and grab me some RSS feed and then I would parse it. To do this I had set up a WebClient and just tried to download the data like this. Ok, build and run in debug mode… BOOM. The program crashed because there was no internet connectivity (ok error handling would normally catch this but it was a quick prototype).
I’ve spent hours looking into the problem and reading loads of forums on what needs to be done to fix it. None of them worked for me until I stumbled upon what I think is my problem (and could be your problem!).
- Right click on the circled adapter. In this case I’m choosing the wireless card virtual switch as this is my source of connectivity. Open the properties.
- You can see I’ve highlighted the option we want to choose, “Hyper-V Extensible Virtual Switch”. I know it may be unchecked already but once I checked this and chose “Yes” from the next prompt. Things started to work for me.
- Next time I ran the emulator, I managed to get some internet connectivity. I double checked this by opening IE and browsing to a web page.
I just have to say, I have no idea why this happens. I’m not a networking guy so it’s kinda over my head. All I know is that this worked for me. So I’m hoping by posting exactly what I did, it will save someone else the wasted time searching for the answer!
Feel free to let me know if this works or if I am well off the mark with this one 🙂